Apr 12, 2009

first post...

TOP TEN SECRETS to SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETING MY 1ST ½ MARATHON:


1) Start race day in the dark pre-dawn light in the kitchen making a Latte!


2) Since I couldn’t rustle up any human cheerleaders to join me for the 6:00 am drive to lovely Fernley NV, I brought my dog. Ono’s wags & licks were my hugs & high fives at the car after the finish.


3) The girls in my ipod: P!nk, M.I.A., Rihanna, Britney, Lily, Robyn, Madonna, Estelle & Gwen.


4) My 1/2M expert cousins in Iowa, Indiana, & San Diego. Your support and enthusiasm inspired me and gave the courage to think I could do it. I hope I can do one WITH you someday!


5) A trip to the ER 6 weeks before race day really helped to solidify my commitment to fitness & living the fullest & healthiest life possible. Nothing like a little fear to encourage an extra mile here & there during training.


6) Train at 6000 feet, race at 4000 feet.


7) You gotta love a town where the D.J. at the race starting line is playing Creedence Clearwater Revival. Really loud. At 7:30 a.m.


8) My Girls on the Run fellow coaches & the girls of Glenshire Elementary School. They all have provided me with the best motivation, inspiration & stick-to-it-ive-ness!


9) The warmest & driest winter in Tahoe in about 5 years. If we had had a big snow winter, and I therefore had had to train on a treadmill, I don’t think I could’ve done it. Nothing compares to running in the clean fresh crisp mountain air.


10) Two words: swimsuit season!

2 comments:

  1. oh hooray! welcome to the internet!

    congrats on the marathon! wish i could have been there... i'm a terrific cheerleader... don't think i could ever run one... but, enjoy the cheering and the post-parties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. still thinking about you this morning... you run marathons... i eat pecan pie for breakfast - how are we friends!?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete